We should all drink plenty of fluids every day to stay hydrated. Water is essential for a healthy body.
What Should you Drink?
Drink as much as you want of these no-calorie fluids:
- Plain or sparkling water.
- Homemade “spa water” (plain or sparkling water with slices of fresh fruit and herbs like mint or basil)
- Flavored zero-calorie water.
Drink these fluids in moderation to avoid unhealthy weight gain:
- 100% fruit or vegetable juice.
- Low-fat or non-fat milk.
- Low-calorie sports drinks.
Limit these fluids for their effects:
- Caffeinated teas and coffee. Caffeine can dehydrate you, so be careful to drink more fluids to replace what these options can take from your body.
- Soft drinks. Those drinks provide a significant number of calories without providing any vitamins or minerals. Sip and enjoy the flavor, but if you need to satisfy thirst, choose low-calorie or no-calorie options.
Make your own spa water
Sometimes adding a little flavor will help you get all the liquids you need to stay hydrated. “Spa water” is an easy, low cost way to add a twist to your water without too many unwanted calories. Spa water is inspired by the Latin American tradition of aguas frescas.
Fill a Pitcher with Plain or Sparkling Water
Add slices of flavorful fruits, vegetables or herbs to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for at least two hours to allow the flavors to blend. Be sure to wash the fruits, vegetables and herbs very well before slicing.
For best results, fill a half-gallon pitcher with water and your favorite flavor combination and refrigerate before you go to bed. You’ll wake up with almost a day’s worth of delicious and refreshing water ready to go.
Keep It Cool
- Cucumber and honeydew melon
- Lime and rosemary
- Lemon and basil
- Lemon, lime, orange and cilantro
- Watermelon and mint
- Mango and pineapple
- Strawberry, kiwi and basil
- Peaches and pineapples
- Raspberry and lime